- Anxious Minds is committed to promoting equal opportunities within the group.
- Anxious Minds values diversity and encourages fairness group members to learn and live free from discrimination and stigma and prejudice.
- Anxious Minds will seek to combat any stigma or discriminatory practices within the groups and will use its position of influence in North Tyneside wherever possible, to help overcome discriminatory barriers.
In seeking to achieve this vision, Anxious Minds will strive to:
- Encourage equality of opportunity for all people and actively promote good relations.
- Eliminate any conditions, procedures and individual behaviour that can lead to discrimination even where there was no intent to discriminate, with particular regard to:
- Race; Gender; Disability; Sexuality; Age; Religion and Belief
- Anxious Minds recognizes that individuals may experience disadvantage on more than one level, and will:
- Offer services fairly to all people, ensuring that anyone in contact with the organisation is treated with respect, making provision for those individuals within the community whose needs and expectations are less well met.
- Comply with all legislation dealing with discrimination and the promotion of equality, following the codes of practice issued to support this legislation.
- Ensure all employment policies procedures, guidelines and circulars reflect and reinforce Anxious Minds commitment to equality.
- Ensure mechanisms are in place for responding to complaints of discrimination and harassment from employees and the public.
- Encourage vulnerable individuals to participate in the community.
- Make this policy known to all Councillors, employees, job applicants, local citizens and partner organisations.
- Operate procurement practices and partnership arrangements that ensure others commissioned to provide services for Anxious Minds to have similar policies that cover equal opportunities.,/li>
- Periodically review the Equal Opportunities policy.
Equal Opportunities policy – Supporting statements
- Race Equality: is committed to promoting a cohesive society and eliminating unlawful racial discrimination. The group will promote equality of opportunity and good relations between people of different racial, national and ethnic groups.
- Disability Equality: Anxious Minds will not treat a person less favourably directly or indirectly on the basis of his/her disability and will promote equality of opportunity for people with short term or enduring mental health issues.
- Gender Equality: Anxious Minds will not treat a person less favourably directly or indirectly due to gender or marital status.
Equality of Membership: Anxious Minds will, through its policies and ethos, seek to create:
- A prejudice free and supportive meeting environment;
- A membership which reflects the diversity of the local population ensuring that people from all sections of Anxious Minds local community have equality of opportunity to obtain.
- Accessibility: Anxious Mind’s services must be accessible and appropriate for all members of the community who might wish or need to use them.
- Sexual Orientation Anxious Minds will not discriminate directly or indirectly on the grounds of sexual orientation.
- Gender Reassignment: Anxious Minds will not discriminate directly or indirectly on the grounds of gender reassignment.
- Religion and Belief: Anxious Minds will not discriminate directly or indirectly on the grounds of religion or belief.
(This is defined as any religion, religious belief or similar philosophical belief. It excludes philosophical or political beliefs unless those beliefs are similar to a religious belief, e.g. the belief has a profound effect on the person’s way of life.)
- Age: A person’s age will not lead to unfair discrimination.